Compiled by the Municipal Veterans’ Representative for the City of New Haven

(Secure Contact Form)

  • EMERGENCIES: Call 911
  • URGENT: Connecticut 2-1-1 (Call 211 or
    • Confidential information and referral service from the United Way and supported by the State of Connecticut

Primary Veteran Resources for Greater New Haven

  • Anne Mosher, MSW
    Veterans Service Officer
    The State of Connecticut, Department of Veterans Affairs
    70 West River Street, Milford, CT 06460
    O: 203-874-6711 
    C:  959-867-9397
    Fax: 203-874-6716
    Anne Mosher is the MSW Veterans Service Officer for the Third District of Connecticut (including New Haven). She has 15+ years of experience, and is accredited by the General Council, VA Washington to prepare, present, and prosecute claims before various review boards concerned with veterans benefits.

  • New Haven Vet Center (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)
    • 291 South Lambert Road, Orange, CT 06477
    • PH: 203-795-0148
    • “Vet Centers are small, non-medical, counseling centers conveniently located in your community. They’re staffed by highly trained counselors and team members dedicated to seeing you through the challenges that come with managing life during and after the military.”

Veteran Agencies

  • Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)
    • Veterans Stand Down: An annual event that offers veterans assistance in applying for benefits and entitlements with local, state & federal government organizations.
  • Connecticut Department of Labor
    • Veteran Services: Veterans may receive reemployment services from trained staff at American Job Centers (AJCs) throughout the state including Hamden.
  • Connecticut National Guard (
    • State Public Affairs Officer (media inquiries, general info)
    • Community Event Support (requests for color guards, parades, flyovers, etc.)
  • Veterans Affairs (VA) Connecticut Healthcare System (
    • Main page for federal Veterans Administration healthcare information in Connecticut, including the West Haven VA Medical Center, which has the only VA emergency room in the state.
  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
    • Request your military service records
      • Submit a military records request to get your DD214 or other military service records through the milConnect website. Highly recommended to request a copy BEFORE any service member dies.

Veteran Resources

  • National Veterans Council for Legal Redress (
    • New Haven-based, non-profit organization that refers veterans to agencies that assist them with social, legal, and technical assistance; specifically, upgrading discharge statues of veterans who received less than honorable discharges.
  • Yale Veterans Legal Services Clinic (
    • Established in 2010, students have represented Connecticut veterans in litigation before administrative agencies and courts, on benefits, discharge upgrade, immigration, and pardon matters.
  • Connecticut Veterans Legal Center (
    • Co-located with the Errera Community Care Center, the CVLC provides free representation to veterans recovering from homelessness and mental illness to help stabilize their lives.
  • My Army Benefits, U.S. Army: Official Benefits Website for Soldiers, Veterans, Retirees & Families (
  • Veterans of Foreign Wars New Haven Post 12150
  • American Legion New Haven Post 210
  • New Haven Mayor’s Veteran Affairs Advisory Committee:
    • The Committee works with the City Administration to plan and implement activities in connection with traditional national patriotic days of commemoration and similar events. 
    • In particular, the Committee is responsible, working with a liaison from the Mayor’s Office, for the planning and implementation of Veterans Day and Memorial Day activities.
    • Other activities which may concern the current committee are the identification and rehabilitation, where necessary, of veteran and war memorials in the City.

What is a Municipal Veterans’ Representative in Connecticut

Established in 2013, the Connecticut Municipal Veterans’ Representative program of the Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) has been updated several times including the addition of annual training and various reporting requirements.

Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 27-135 ( stipulates:

  • coordinating representative in all matters concerning veterans and their dependents, coordinating the activities of public and private facilities concerned with veterans’ reemployment, education, rehabilitation and adjustment to peacetime living
  • cooperate with all national, state and local governmental and private agencies in securing services and benefits to which a veteran or his dependents may be entitled
  • use the services and facilities of the veterans organizations so far as possible to carry out the purposes of this section
  • encourage and coordinate vocational training services for veterans

Additionally, “…Any volunteer … shall (A) be available to veterans in person, by telephone or by electronic mail (Secure Contact Form) for any minimum number of hours per week that the city or town designating the volunteer may establish, and (B) file a performance report each month with the city or town designating the volunteer that includes, but is not limited to, the names of veterans assisted, services or referrals provided and any other information as determined by the city or town.”