11February2023 @ 1000 - 1200 ESTFree
#VetHikes are informal & free hikes around greater New Haven with some veterans and friends for a few hours.
WEST RIVER WAR MEMORIAL #VETHIKE: Free, fun, and flat 5.2 mile hike around the West River visiting six war memorials in New Haven. Assemble for free on-street parking by Westville Music Bowl (45 Yale Ave., New Haven, CT).
Stops include (clockwise):
- 102nd Infantry Tablet (by Yale Baseball field)
- Spanish-American War Monument, Edgewood Park
- Timothy Ahearn Monument, West River Park
- Cornelius S. Bushnell Monument, Monitor Park
- Knight Hospital Monument, (inside Evergreen Cemetery)
- Defenders’ Monument, Columbus Ave
[Soldiers’ Memorial Gateway, Beecher Park may be included]
There is no service, medical, or straggler support; no drugs/alcohol, no angry/aggressive dogs, no whining, no weapons, and no religious or partisan political stuff, please. Coffee, camaraderie, friendly pets, and student veteran groups are welcome.
Uniform is weather and hiking appropriate gear.
Military-themed outwear is encouraged for service members and veterans.