UPDATE: Do to the COVID-19 global pandemic, all VFW activities have been canceled indefinitely (22 March 2020).
A free, fun, and flat 5.2 mile loop around the West River in New Haven, Connecticut with stops at six local war memorials. Open to all veterans and their friends. Meet on or before 0900 street-side of the Connecticut Tennis Center (45 Yale, Ave. New Haven, CT 06515).
• 102nd Infantry Tablet, Yale Baseball Field
• Defenders’ Monument, Columbus Ave.
• Knight Hospital Monument, Evergreen Cemetery
• Cornelius S. Bushnell Monument, Monitor Park
• Timothy Ahearn Monument, West River Park
• Spanish-American War Monument, Edgewood Park
[Soldiers’ Memorial Gateway, Beecher Park may be included]
There is no service, medical, or straggler support.
SOP: no drugs/alcohol, no angry dogs, no whining, no weapons, and no religious or partisan political stuff, please. Coffee, camaraderie, friendly pets, and student groups are welcome.
Uniform is weather and hiking appropriate gear and military-themed outwear is encouraged for service members and veterans. Monitor VFW New Haven Post 12150 on Facebook for updates or weather cancelations. POC is Pickett.