by Charles M. Pickett
VFW Nominations for the next year “open in March and remain open until the Post is ready to vote.”
By-Laws (July 2016)
Sec. 216-Elected and Appointed Officers; Chairmen and Committees.
- The officers of each Post will consist of a Commander, Senior Vice Commander, Junior Vice Commander, Quartermaster, Adjutant, Chaplain, Judge Advocate, Surgeon and three (3) Trustees.
- The post shall elect the Commander, Senior Vice Commander, Junior Vice Commander, Quartermaster, Chaplain and three trustees.
- The appointed officers of each Post shall consist of at least and Adjutant, Judge Advocate, Surgeon, Officer of the Day, Service Officer, and Guard to be appointed as prescribed in Section 216 in the Manual of Procedure.
Manual of Procedure
Sec. 216–Elected and Appointed Officers; Chairmen and Committees (summary)
- Commander on election night, or soon thereafter, appoints Adjutant, Officer of the Day, Service Officer, and such other officers, chairmen and committees.
- Commander retains authority to remove these officers, committee chairmen and committee members at any time.
- Officers submit proof of eligibility.
Sec. 217–Nomination, Election, Installation and Term of Office (summary)
- Order of nominations and elections: Commander, Sr. Vice, Jr. Vice, Quartermaster, Chaplain and Trustee(s).
- Nomination: Prior to opening, Post shall decide which form of election shall be used (secret poll, open)
- Any nominee shall have the opportunity to decline nomination.
- Absentee nominees, present in writing to Adjutant consent of member prior to opening.
- Absentee ballots and proxy votes are prohibited.
- Majority vote shall be necessary to elect.